The Corporate Controller must have 7 years’ experience with a public reporting company. Accountable for corporate accounting, responsibilities include:
Read More →
Reports to: VP, Finance
- Ensure the accurate and timely consolidation of the client’s financial results including monthly and quarterly performance reports, Financial Statements
- Preparation and analysis of financial information, coordinate with reporting groups to ensure timely, accurate information to Senior Management
- Maintaining and updating General Ledger and financial consolidation
- Guiding, managing and mentoring the Corporate accounting group, including accounting managers and senior accountants
- Ensuring the accounts payable operates in a controlled environment and provides services as required by the group of companies
- Review, and where applicable, approve corporate general ledger entries for accuracy and validity, ensuring controls are operational
- Quarterly and annual audit requirements, including preparation of year-end financial statements and working papers and managing the interaction of external firm to ensure a timely and accurate audit.
- Assisting in the development and analysis of budgets and long range plans
- Ensuring the Legal Entity Statements are prepared in a timely manner for the filing of GST and tax returns
- Strong people skills. A team player with a proven ability to build relationships at all levels of an organization.
- Strong communication skills. Demonstrated in written and verbal reports, presentations, and meeting facilitation.
- Responsiveness. Ability to anticipate needs and commit to respond in agreed time frames.
- Add Value. Proven ability to identify, evaluate and develop new ideas and support with results.
- Ability to mentor. Ability to set clear objectives and deliverable goals.
- Professional accounting designation (CMA, CA, CGA) business degree
- Strong technical knowledge in a real estate environment
- Technical knowledge of financial systems
- Business knowledge in commercial real estate, including key metrics
- Strong systems knowledge
Reporting to the VP, Legal Services, and part of a team of legal professionals, the Law Clerk must be fully conversant in commercial leasing; including the preparation of documents such as offers, leases, amending agreements, assignments, surrenders, terminations, and estoppel certificates; negotiation and liaising with third parties and colleagues with respect to lease provisions.
Read More →
Reports to: VP Legal
- Drafts and prepares all forms of lease and ancillary documentation
- Researches and analyzes pertinent lease provisions subsequent to drafting any form of lease documentation
- Communicates and negotiates with Tenants and/or their agent/legal counsel
- Prepares and develops individual property binders with respect to restrictive covenants, no build and building restrictions, rights of first refusals, etc.
- Manages individual Tenant files, correspondence, and communications throughout transaction
- Updates legal status report on a continual basis
- Attends and participates in monthly legal or leasing meetings
- Communicates with leasing on a continual basis, as well as conducts research of closing books, review of documents and handling of other enquiries from legal counsel or senior law clerk
Required level of education and job-related of experience:
- Law Clerk diploma or equivalent education/experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a leasing law clerk gained in a law firm or corporation
- Experienced in both drafting and negotiations
- Self-starter, detail-oriented person who enjoys interesting and challenging work
- Strong organizational and communication skills – both written and oral
- Proficient in MS Word/Outlook/Excel
- Comfort in use of lease databases (RealSuite and others)
Required Licenses or Professional Accreditation:
- Law Clerk designation
Lease Administration Accountant
The client is looking to hire a Lease Administration Accountant with a minimum of two (2) years in Lease Administration Accounting, or Property Accounting preferably in a commercial/office property management environment:
Read More →
- Review of leases, recurring billing, report code and log information in the system ensuring accurate update of Lease & tenant information.
- Review and process, tenant billing & adjustment requests from the regional and site lease administrators, cash receipt batches, NSF cheques and Rent Roll Reconciliations
- Set up leases for new acquisition
- Set up new tenants in the system and make changes on tenants’ address book
- Perform monthly vacancy update in system
- Review and process area changes as per property administrator’s request
- Set up and update straight line rent information as per lease document received
- Provide assistance to property administrators on lease administrative related issues
- Review and process year-end billings
- Create & Maintain tenant recovery schedules:
- Analyze recovery ratios and provide commentary working in conjunction with the property accountant.
- Verify revenue assumption and provide commentary for variances to budget and prior year.
- Validate and update recovery classes per tenant lease
- Complete yearly budget process
- Review & analyze tenants accounts receivable and follow up with property manager with respect to collection, bad debt allowance and write offs.
- Property management environment
- Entry level CGA or accredited CMA candidate
- Undergraduate degree or college diploma
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Excel and Word
Responsible for day-to-day property portfolio accounts receivable, accounts payable, accounting system input, timely tenant rental collections, related administrative functions for portfolio of properties, tenant account reconciliations, bank deposits and general inquiries involving lease administration issues. Assist in budget preparation, accounts payable and monthly reporting as directed.
Read More →
- Input new accounting/lease administration data in a timely manner for new tenants, renewals etc.; prepare lease abstracts and completion of any adjustments as required
- Review and print related monthly reports (rent rolls, accounts receivable, rent-up, etc.) and provide Property Manager with any changes to the rent roll or other reports as requested
- Prepare cheque requisitions for tenant allowances, lease commissions, etc.
- Prepare letters to tenants re: welcome packages, rental charges, renewal packages, arrears, etc.
- Prepares correspondence, notices and other documents for Property Manager
- Tracking of Tenant insurance certificates
- Responds to general day-to-day enquires & concerns from tenants, verbally or in writing
- Set up of new acquisition/development files and information
- Organization and completion of all tenant and building related files
- Maintains filing systems for contracts, insurance certificates, tenant information, and other documentation
- Assists Property Manager with obtaining supplier and contractor quotations
- Assist in maintenance of risk management and environmental websites
- Review rent rolls to ensure accuracy as required
- Process daily bank deposits and reconciliation
- Take daily deposits to bank as required
- Accounting system entries and procedures (tenant charge backs, adjustments, etc.)
- Contact tenants on a regular basis to ensure prompt payments and miscellaneous invoices
- Enroll tenants in PAD and EFT programs
- Prepare monthly AR report for internal and external reporting
- Reconcile accounts and advise tenants of any outstanding amounts monthly or earlier, as required
- Administer tenant charge backs
- Liaise with Property Manager/Corporate Solicitors on delinquent accounts
- Respond to tenant inquiries about pre-bill or year-end calculations
- Review, prepare and code all invoices
- Prepare cheque requisitions for tenant allowance, broker commissions etc.
- Submit invoices for approval in a timely fashion to Property Manager, and ensure that the appropriate signatures are obtained as per the Approval Authorities policy
- Administrate all utilities effectively for building common areas and vacant spaces
- Assist in the preparation of Annual Budgets
- Assist in preparation of annual operating cost pre-bill calculation and year-end reconciliations
Skills and Knowledge:
- Proficient computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and computer based accounting packages
- Excellent communication skills and ability to deal with tenants
- Ability to work under pressure, and deal with multiple deadlines
- Able to effectively multi-task and be able to recognize and address important and time-sensitive tasks and manners
- Self motivated, team player, and exercises discretion
- Excellent organizational skills
The Property Accountant I is responsible for managing the financial reporting for a portfolio of properties, providing analysis and explanation of variances and trends for the consideration of management.
Read More →
- Prepare management accounting and financial statements and reports on a timely basis.
- Prepare analyses of variance of operating results to plan on a regular basis that are logically presented and organized, are appropriate to the audience, and identify contributing factors causing real variances and trends. Review minimum rent variances prepared monthly by Lease Administration.
- Review the recurring billing changes (including area changes) prepared by Lease Administration and understand how the changes affect the financial statements.
- Prepare analysis of balance sheet amounts and update working papers on a regular basis. Review accounts receivable and other sub-ledger reconciliations to control accounts, security deposit reconciliation, and due to manager accounts reconciliation, prepared by Lease Administration.
- Prepare monthly reports to co-owners.
- With guidance, undertakes non-standard analytical procedures.
Performs accounting functions for a portfolio of properties of low- to mid-complexity, oriented to providing service and support to the Accounting Department’s clients.
- Maintain the property’s books and records in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Monitor cash position of joint ventures and ensure property bank reconciliations are prepared on a timely basis.
- Prepare year-end working paper files, and answer queries from auditors.
- Prepare year-end co-ownership financial statements including drafting the financial statements and notes to the financial statements.
- Responsible for reading and understanding co-ownership, property management agreement, and loan documents related to the assigned properties.
- Assist Property Manager in audits requested by partners.
- Assist Property Manager in the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Assist with accounting projects including, but not limited to special projects (acquisitions, dispositions and refinancing of property) and system-related projects.
- Prepare quarterly forecasts and annual budgets.
Property Management and other members of Accounting Group
Property Accounting Manager
The Accounting Manager is responsible for in-depth review and production of accounting and financial analysis and reports, with the objective of providing accurate, reliable and timely information to the various internal and external clients of the department. The Accounting Manager is also responsible for the integrity of accounting controls, review of bank reconciliations, adjustments, and cash management as necessary.
The Accounting Manager will work with the Controller, Property Accounting on special projects as required.
Read More →
Reports to: Controller, Property Accounting
1. Financial reporting and analysis
- Review all reporting prepared by direct reports to ensure accuracy, completeness and timeliness of information.
- Prepare complete portfolio level review and reporting, including monthly variance reporting.
- Review monthly reports prepared for joint ventures and co-ownerships.
- Provide direct liaison with various clients, ensuring all accounting and information needs are accommodated.
- Co-ordinate audit requirements of various clients, including completion of year-end files, financial statements, cost certificates, and other audited statements, as required.
- Participate in completion of annual financial budgets including co-ordination of required information and schedules to be sent to or received from co-owners.
- Prepare periodic forecasts for portfolio.
- Other special analyses, reports or special projects, as required.
2. Day to day operations of the accounting group
- Ensure all necessary accounting controls are functioning and that there is communication from and to each department.
- Proactively plan and manager direct reports’ work and progress ensuring adherence to deadlines.
- Review and approve bank reconciliations, journal entries, and other adjustments to ledgers, as required.
- Review monthly and quarterly working paper packages, including balance sheet and related analysis.
- Assist in completion of ownership level accounting adjustments for? interest cost centres related to portfolio.
- Oversee daily cash management of client’s in-trust accounts and ensure excess cash is distributed as required.
- Provide initial review and signing of cheques on in-trust accounts.
- Co-ordinate banking changes and set-up of pre-authorized payments for interest cost centres.
- Co-ordinate set-up of new properties and standardization of accounting and reporting models used within the department.
- Review and approve provincial tax and GST returns.
- Identify potential issues that require resolution through development of new procedures or systems.
- Assist in revising reporting formats and structures in response to changing circumstances.
- Recommend and assist in the development of enhanced reporting systems, procedures, policies and controls to meet management requirements.
- Mentor direct reports.
- Set goals and objectives for direct reports and monitor progress through periodic performance appraisals.
- Assist with co-ordination of internal training program and lead some sessions.
- Minimum three years accounting supervisory experience in the property management industry
- Accounting designation (i.e. CGA, CMA, CA) completed
- Extensive knowledge of property management accounting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong management skills with the ability to motivate and influence others
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Solid understanding of accounting and internal controls and procedures
- Solid understanding of accounting for co-ownerships
- Self motivated with a positive attitude