The focus of this position is to lead a property accounting team through all accounting activities for a specific portfolio: monthly and quarterly property financial statements, annual operating costs and tax recovery reconciliations, annual budgets, and more.
- Mentor and lead members of the property accounting team through coaching, training, timely review, and constructive feedback of all deliverables.
- Review Monthly Property Financial Statements for assigned portfolio, including:
- Review and approve journal entries.
- Review recovery reconciliations and shortfall analysis.
- Detailed revenue analysis.
- NOI / SANOI / FFO / AFFO analysis.
- Detailed balance sheet analysis.
- Bank and Sales Tax Reconciliations.
- Review and prepare property related financial data and schedules for quarterly financial statements and MD&A.
- Review final annual operating costs and tax recovery reconciliations.
- Assist with coordinating monthly reporting deadlines and ensure that deadlines are met.
- Liaise with auditors and provide information for audit related queries.
Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Provide support and leadership in the completion of the annual budget.
- Review annual budgets for assigned portfolio.
- Assist with preparation, review, and analysis of consolidated budget schedules, including variance analysis and trend analysis.
- Assist in providing training and education to encourage on-going development and improve accounting skills and knowledge.
- Active involvement in improving processes and updating SOP’s.
- Assist in establishing annual department goals and objectives.
- Ensure all internal control are adhered to and report any deficiencies.
- Ad-hoc financial analysis, as needed.
- Participate in special projects as they arise.
- At least 7 years of Property Accounting experience in a commercial/retail real estate company.
- At least 3 years of managerial / supervisory experience.
- Experience in budgeting, full cycle accounting, and reading leases with knowledge of lease terminology.
- University Degree in accounting or finance.
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA).
- Knowledge of accounting software.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Self-motivated individual, with strong problem-solving and prioritizing skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical skills, and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong computer skills, with advanced skills in MS Excel and knowledge of MS Word.