The Property Accountant’s primary responsibility is to provide exceptional customer service for all (both internal and external) and for the efficient and accurate accounting of a real estate portfolio.
- Responsible for all aspects of property accounting for a mixture of commercial, office, and retail properties.
- Prepare on a monthly basis the property management reports including the full set of financial statements, sub-ledgers, and variance analysis.
- Prepare on a monthly basis the accrual of CAM/Realty tax recoveries; as well as preparing the annual year end tenant reconciliations together with the invoices to tenants.
- Prepare annually the year-end files for the review/audit engagement of external auditors as well as for the internally issued year end financial statements.
- Prepare in coordination with the operations group the annual operating budget of the properties.
- Assist in the preparation of the five-year cash flow updated on a semi-annual basis.
- Liaise with the property operations group in analyzing variances as well as on other matters related to the monthly reporting.
- Liaise with the external auditors in responding to queries related to the yearend working paper files.
- Prepare quarterly re-forecasts.
- Respond to queries and requests from the accounting group of the co-owners.
- Provide information requested by lenders and other third parties related to the financial statements of the properties.
- Coordinate with the accounts payable group for cut off period as well as the calculation of management fees.
- Special projects upon request.
- Actively pursuing a designation in accounting (CPA or equivalent).
- University of College degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field.
- 3-5 years of related real estate experience.
- Ability to perform financial and mathematical analysis.
- Ability to function and thrive in a team-oriented environment collaborating effectively with others while supporting the goals of the business.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to multi-task and meet or exceed all deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Proactive problem recognition and solution.
- Computer proficient and experience using Microsoft Office, Excel.